The future of the Catholic Church with Pope Francis /
Garry Wills, the prizewinning historian, argues that changes have been the evidence of life in the Catholic Church. It has often changed, sometimes with bad consequences, more often with good, good enough to make it perdure. In this brilliant and incisive study, he gives seven examples of deep and s...
New York :
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Reading history forward
- The coming and going of Latin. Inclusion ; Exclusion ; God's Word under guard ; Pentecosts
- The coming and going of monarchy. Church without state : martyrs and passivity ; Church with state : ascetics and resistance ; Church with state : who owns Constantine? ; Church with state : who owns Peter? ; Church as state : who owns the sword? ; Churches and states : who owns the Pope? ; Churches and states : a pluralist world
- The coming and going of anti-Semitism. Paul, "a Jew of Jews" ; After the Temple ; After the Holocaust ; The return to Paul
- the coming and going of :"natural law." The Pope as sex monitor ; Male god ; "Right to life"
- The coming and going of confession. The duty to forgive
- The future : a Church of surprises.