Living color : the biological and social meaning of skin color /
This book investigates the social history of skin color from prehistory to the present, showing how our body's most visible trait influences our social interactions in profound and complex ways. The author begins with the biology and evolution of skin pigmentation, explaining how skin color cha...
University of California Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Skin's natural palette
- Original skin
- Out of the tropics
- Skin color in the modern world
- Shades of sex
- Skin color and health
- The discriminating primate
- Encounters with difference
- Skin color in the age of exploration
- Skin color and the establishment of races
- Institutional slavery and the politics of pigmentation
- Skin colors and their variable meanings
- ; Aspiring to lightness
- Desiring darkness
- Living in color.