More than freedom : fighting for Black citizenship in a White republic, 1829-1889 /
The story of the African American journey from slavery to freedom usually begins with heroic abolitionists, peaks with emancipation during the Civil War, and trails off amid Reconstruction's violence. Here, historian Stephen Kantrowitz redefines our understanding of this entire era by showing t...
New York :
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Confronting slavery and freedom. A place for "colored citizens"
- Fighting Jim Crow in the cradle of liberty
- Our unfinished church
- The means of elevation
- Fighting like men. The heirs of Crispus Attucks
- The fall and rise of the United States
- The disappointments of citizenship. Radical reconstruction on Beacon Hill
- "The war of races"
- Burying Lewis Hayden
- More than freedom.