Elizabeth Patterson Bonaparte : an American aristocrat in the early republic /
Yearning for the life of a European aristocrat, Elizabeth Patterson wed Jerome, Napoleon Bonaparte's youngest brother, after a whirlwind American courtship. The French emperor had different plans and broke up the marriage despite Elizabeth's pregnancy and the subsequent birth of a son. In...
University of Pennsylvania Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- 'Nature never intended me for obscurity': the celebrity
- 'The Duchess of Baltimore': the aristocrat
- 'A modern philosophe': the independent woman
- 'Happiness for a woman': the femme d'esprit
- 'So much agitated about this child's destiny': the mother and daughter
- 'She belongs to history'.