Early native literacies in New England : a documentary and critical anthology /
University of Massachusetts Press,
|Series:||Native Americans of the Northeast.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- The Mohegans. Oweneco, "Letter of instruction from Oanhekoe, Sachem of the Mohegan Indians in New England, 14 July 1703" ; Letter of instruction from Oanhekoe, Sachem of the Mohegan Indians in New England, 14 July 1703 / David Murray
- Joseph Johnson, "Diary, 1773" ; Joseph Johnson's diary, Farmington, Connecticut, 18 November 1772 to 1 February 1773
- Mohegan wood-splint basket ; The cultural work of a Mohegan painted basket / Stephanie Fitzgerald
- Samson Occum, "Temperance and morality sermon" ; Samson Occum and the sermonaic tradition / Heather Bouwman
- "Title pages from Samson Occum's Sermon preached at the execution of Moses Paul" ; Samson Occum and the native print literacy / Philip H. Round
- The Narragansetts. Sarah Pharaoh, "The case of Sarah Pharaoh" ; The dreadful case of Sarah Pharaoh: finding native women's voices in an eighteenth-century infanticide case / Ann Marie Plane
- Sarah Simon, "Letter to Eleazar Wheelock, 1769" ; Writing back to Wheelock: one young woman's response to colonial Christianity / Hilary E. Wyss
- Natick. Samuel Ponampam, "Confession narrative, 1656" ; Temptation in the wilderness: Ponampam's confession / Kristina Bross
- "Natick Indian petition, 1748" ; Our old and valluable liberty: a Natick Indian petition in defense of their fishing rights, 1748 / Jean O'Brien
- The Pequots. "Pequot medicine bundle" ; Bundles, bears, and bibles: interpreting seventeenth-century native 'texts'" / Kevin A. McBride
- The confession and dying warning of Katherine Garret ; Seeing other wise: reading a Pequot execution narrative / Jodi Schorb
- The Wampanoags. "Mittark's will, 1681/1703" ; 'We chief men say this' : Wampanoag memory, English authority, and the contest over Mittark's Will / David J. Silverman
- "The Hannit family, in experience Mayhew's Indian converts" ; Tradition and innovation in a colonial Wampanoag family from Martha's vineyard" / Laura Arnold Leibman
- Intertribal conversations. "Pictograph image on a 1725 treaty" (Wabanaki) ; Reading expressions of identity on a 1725 peace and friendship treaty / Heidi Bohaker ; "Montaukett petition, 1788" ; 'This Indian world': a petition/origin story from Samson Occom (Mohegan) and the Montaukett tribe / Joanna Brooks ; Hendrick Aupaumut (Mahican/Stockbridge), a short narration of my last journey to the western contry ; Historical introduction to Hendrick Aupaumut's Short narration ; Hendrick Aupaumut and the cultural middle ground / Sandra M. Gustafson.