Taking liberties : the war on terror and the erosion of American democracy /
"Since 9/11, the U.S. government has acted in a variety of ways--some obvious, some nearly invisible--to increase its surveillance and detention power over American citizens and residents. While most of us have made our peace with the various new restrictions on our civil liberties after 9/11,...
Oxford ; New York :
Oxford University Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- pt. 1. Dragnets and watchlists. The webmaster and the football player
- "Foreign terrorist organizations," humanitarians, and the First Amendment
- Charity at home
- Traveling with terror
- Banks and databanks
- pt. 2. Surveillance and security. Gutting the Fourth Amendment
- The Patriot Act and library/business records
- Gagging the librarians
- John Doe and the national security letter
- The President's surveillance program
- pt. 3. American Democracy. Losing out checks and balances : the president, the Congress, and the courts