Authentic Blackness/"real" Blackness : essays on the meaning of Blackness in literature and culture /
New York :
|Series:||Black studies & critical thinking ;
v. 26. |
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- What does it mean to be "really" Black? A selective history of authentic Blackness / Martin Japtok and Rafiki Jenkins
- The "defining" problem of Black authenticity in Canada : real slang and the grammar of cultural hybridity / Dara N. Byrne and Jean-Jacques Rousseau
- Privileging the popular at what price? A discussion of Joan Morgan, hip hop, feminism, and radical politics / David M. Jones
- Claiming hip hop : authenticity debates, Filipino DJs, and contemporary U.S. racial formations / Antonio T. Tiongson Jr.
- "Faking the funk" : a journey towards authentic Blackness / Wendy Alexia Rountree
- Brown boy blues
- inna Jamaica / Gregory Stephens
- Black authenticity, Racial drag, and the case of Dave Chappelle / Joy Viveros
- How Black do you want it? Countee Cullen and the contest for racial authenticity on page and stage / Jonathan Shandell
- Peculiar irresolution : James Baldwin and Flânerie / Monika Gehlawat
- "Many forces at work" : Clarence Major's early fiction and the critique of racial economy / Benjamin D. Carson
- "Isn't the whole point of writing to escape what people not me think of me" : the failure of language and the search for authenticity in Philadelphia fire and God's gym / Ian Reilly.