Torchbearers of democracy : African American soldiers in the World War I era /
Chapel Hill :
University of North Carolina Press,
|Series:||John Hope Franklin series in African American history and culture.
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Democracy at war : African Americans, citizenship, and the meanings of military service
- The "race question" : the U.S. government and the training experiences of African American soldiers
- The hell of war : African American soldiers in labor and combat
- Les soldats noirs : France, Black military service, and the challenges of internationalism and diaspora
- Waging peace : the end of the war and the hope of democracy
- The war at home : African American veterans and violence in the long "red summer"
- Soldiers to "new Negroes" : African American veterans and postwar racial militancy
- Lest we forget : the war and African American soldiers in history and memory.