Rock is rhythm and blues : the impact of mass media /
[East Lansing] :
Michigan State University Press,
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Part one : Blues is blues
- Birth of blues. Where the blues began ; Popularity of the blues ; Development of rhythm and blues ; Rhythm and blues lyrics
- Radio. The disc jockey ; African-American programing ; Development of African-American radio ; Discovery of rhythm and blues by Alan Freed ; Rhythm and blues criticism
- Motion pictures. Louis Jordan and early rhythm and blues films ; Blackboard Jungle and Rock Around the Clock ; Rhythm and blues films
- Television. Post World War II television ; African-American and early television ; Billy Ward and the Arthur Godfrey Show ; Network TV and African-American programing ; The rise of Elvis Presley
- Summary and conclusions
- Part Two : On the trail of soul poets. Riley "B. B" King ; Brownie McGhee ; Dave Clark ; Arthur "Big Boy" Crudup ; Jerry Butler ; Jessie Whitaker.