Global scientific practice in an age of revolutions, 1750-1850 /
"The century from 1750 to 1850 was a period of dramatic transformations in world history, fostering several types of revolutionary change beyond the political landscape. Independence movements in Europe, the Americas, and other parts of the world were catalysts for radical economic, social, and...
Pittsburgh, PA. :
University of Pittsburgh Press,
|Online Access:||Available via EBSCO eBook Collection|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Introduction: Building Global Perspectives in History of Science : The Era from 1750 to 1850 / Patrick Manning
- Part I. Exchanges among Ways of Knowing. Between Bureaucrats and Bark Collectors : Spain's Royal Reserve of Quina and the Limits of European Botany in the Late Eighteenth-Century Spanish Atlantic World / Matthew James Crawford ; Hurricanes on the Gulf Coast : Environmental Knowledge and Science in Louisiana, the Caribbean, and the United States, 1722-1900 / Eleonora Rohland ; The History and Influence of Maria Sibylla Merian's Bird-Eating Tarantula : Circulating Images and the Production of Natural Knowledge / Kay Etheridge
- Part II. Evolution of the Linnaean Vision. Linnaeus's Apostles and the Globalization of Knowledge, 1729-1756 / Kenneth Nyberg ; Local, Universal, and Embodied Knowledge : Anglo-Swedish Contacts and Linnaean Natural History / Hanna Hodacs ; How Eighteenth-Century "Travelers in Trade" Changed Swedish Perceptions of Economic Systems / Göran Rydén
- Part III. Debates on Description and Taxonomy. The Slow Science of Swift Nature : Hummingbirds and Humans in New Spain / Iris Montero Sobrevilla ; Félix de Azara and the Birds of Paraguay : Making Inventories and Taxonomies at the Boundaries of the Spanish Empire, 1784-1802 / Marcelo Fabián Figueroa ; Los Pichiciegos : Scraps of Information and the Affinities of Mammals in the Early Nineteenth Century / Irina Podgorny
- Part IV. Logistics, Management, and Planning. Mapping the Global and Local Archipelago of Scientific Tropical Sugar : Agriculture, Knowledge, and Practice, 1790-1880 / Leida Fernández-Prieto ; "Squares of Tropic Summer" : The Wardian Case, Victorian Horticulture, and the Logistics of Global Plant Transfers, 1770-1910 / Stuart McCook ; Stamping Empire : Postal Standardization in Nineteenth-Century India / Devyani Gupta
- Part V. Labor and Economics in History of Science. The Great Data Divergence : Global History of Science within Global Economic History / Jessica Ratcliff ; Toward a Global Labor History of Science / Daniel Rood.