Grand opera : the story of the Met /
The Metropolitan has stood among the grandest of opera companies since its birth in 1883. Tracing the offstage/onstage workings of this famed New York institution, Charles Affron and Mirella Jona Affron tell how the Met became and remains a powerful actor on the global cultural scene. In this first...
Oakland, California :
University of California Press,
|Online Access:||Available via EBSCO eBook Collection|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- A matter of boxes, 1883-1884 : bel canto
- Cultural capital, 1884-1903 : the German seasons and French opera
- Opera wars, 1903-1908 : Parsifal, Salome, and the Manhattan Opera Company
- Modernity, 1908-1929 : Puccini
- Hard times, 1929-1940 : Wagner
- Strains of war, 1940-1950 : the conductor's opera
- Stage business, 1950-1966 : Verdi
- In transit, 1966-1975 : American opera
- Maestro Assoluto, 1975-1990 : twentieth-century European opera and the Baroque
- Patronage and Perestroika, 1990-2006 : American opera (redux) and Slavic opera
- In the age of new media, 2006-2013.