A death at Crooked Creek : the case of the cowboy, the cigarmaker, and the love letter /
""This is an extraordinary and ground-breaking book, a wonderfully creative mix of fact and theory, imagination and drama...The startling origin of the complex 'intention exception' to the hearsay evidence rule becomes canvas on which a grand and marvelously detailed tale is told...
New York :
New York University Press,
|Online Access:||Available via EBSCO eBook Collection|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Important characters in the story of the Hillmon case
- Timeline of events important to the Hillmon litigation
- A winter journey leads to an inquest : 1879
- The parties ready their cases for trial : 1879-1882
- The Hillmon case is tried before a jury : 1882
- The case is tried twice more, and a surprising objection is made : 1884-1888
- The Supreme Court hears a case of "graveyard insurance" : 1892
- John Hillmon is reported to be alive as the arduous fourth trial proceeds : 1893-95
- The fifth trial progresses briskly but ends inconclusively, and New York Life capitulates: 1896-1899
- The Hillmon case is tried for the last time: 1899
- The century turns, and the Hillmon case is concluded: 1900-1903.