History derailed : Central and Eastern Europe in the long nineteenth century /
University of California Press,
|Online Access:||Available via EBSCO eBook Collection|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
Table of Contents:
- Introduction : the emerging West as an ideal and model for the East
- The challenge of the rising West and the lack of response in the "sleeping" East
- Romanticism and nationalism in Central and Eastern Europe
- Uprisings and reforms : the struggle for independence and modernization
- Economic modernization in the half century before World War I
- Social changes : "dual" and "incomplete" societies
- The political system : democratization versus authoritarian nationalism
- Epilogue : World War I.