Athletic intruders : ethnographic research on women, culture, and exercise /
Informed by feminism and the fields of anthropology and sociology of sport, this anthology investigates women's place in sport and exercise from a sociocultural perspective, documenting women's struggle into the sports arenas of male hegemony. The nine ethnographic case studies explore iss...
State University of New York Press,
|Series:||SUNY series on sport, culture, and social relations.
|Online Access:||Available via EBSCO eBook Collection|
No Tags, Be the first to tag this record!
- Reflexive ethnography, women, and sporting activities /
- Anne Bolin,
- Jane Granskog
- Just "tri" and "du" it: the variable impact of female involvement in the triathlon/duathlon sport culture /
- Jane Granskog
- Postmodern aerobics: contradiction and resistance /
- Pirkko Markula
- Cultural expressions of African American female athletes in intercollegiate sport /
- Terese M. Peretto Stratta
- Beauty or the beast: the subversive soma /
- Anne Bolin
- A woman's place is in the cardiovascular room?? Gender relations, the body, and the gym /
- Shari L. Dworkin
- Women who ride: the bitch in the back is dead /
- Barbara Joans
- "I was there": gendered limitations, expectations, and strategic assumptions in the world of co-ed softball /
- Faye Linda Wachs
- Changing body aesthetics: diet and exercise fads in a Newfoundland outport community /
- Dona Davis
- Kicking stereotypes into touch: an ethnographic account of women's rugby /
- P. David Howe.